Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Orphan Block Swap

I belong to the Arnprior and District Quilter's Guild.  One of the activities to inspire us as quilters, is to participate in the Shoe Box Orphan Block Challenge.  I was intrigued... I have quite a few lonely, orphan blocks hanging around, mostly from "block of the month" challenges that were forgotten (sigh).  I always have good intentions but so much of life gets in the way including new quilting ideas that I have.  To make us feel better and give us some inspiration, this project was introduced and I thought it could be great fun!  I loaded up my shoe box (it was bursting with a beautiful block and fabric to go with it) and traded it in for a shoe box filled with mystery.  I didn't know what was in it until I got home.


I was pleasantly surprised.  I love the little block and the fabric was very fresh and fun!  Unfortunately there wasn't a whole lot of it but I love quick projects... even if it took me 3 months to tackle it!  Once I got into it, the project didn't take a lot of time.  I added a few of my own scraps and made a couple more blocks.

I recently purchased Alex Anderson's book:  "Start Quilting"; I mostly bought it for the block sample ideas.
I hope to make a sampler quilt in the future with all the blocks I love.
 

I tried to quilt with a little more interest as well - free-motion with a plan!  Little projects are a great way to practice.  I think it turned out quite nice.  The back shows it off.


pssst.... as I mentioned, there wasn't a lot of fabric to work with and I ran out of binding.  Hence the little piece added in!

The finished table runner:  I LOVE it and I hope I don't have to send it back to the owner of the fabric (well it's okay if I have to... maybe I will get my orphan blocks back as well in a finished project). 


I think it looks perfect for welcoming back spring!

Moving right into my next project... I have a brand new nephew, wee Harvey, and he is getting a quilt made by Aunt Deb.  I love love love making baby quilts.  I bought a beautiful kona pastel rainbow jelly roll from Mad About Patchwork before he was born and took out the girly colours (to save for a baby girl some day) and plan on making a cute and cuddly quilt for him.  



I am linking up with Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for her Let's Bee Social party!  




5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, love the way that table runner came out! The colors are beautiful and so calming, peaceful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea to trade orphans... Your runner turned out super cute! Can't wait to see what you decide on for the baby quilt you are making to welcome little Harvey. I love baby quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That runner is so fresh and pretty! I love the colors in it. Congrats on a new baby nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project to do a mystery orphan block! It looks beautiful! Thanks for joining in in Crafty Comment Karma!! We have another one going up tomorrow and I hope you'll participate again!!

    ReplyDelete