Tuesday, 5 May 2015

Kona Pastel Jelly Roll BABY QUILT

Every word in this blog post title is a great word!  I love all of those things and especially have a new-found love of pre-cuts such as jelly rolls, I am into Kona solids right now and pastels are precious.  I have baby nieces and nephews coming out of my ears right now and it is awesome!  My husband and I have 3 children but our youngest is 6 years old - certainly not a baby anymore so having new little ones to love in our family is really special.  I love making baby quilts for quite a few reasons; one being that they can be a quick project and secondly that they are always loved.  When we had our first baby (almost 11 years ago) we received quite a few baby quilts and I love them all.  I started quilting when we had our second child and then made a few of my own baby quilts.  We were also on the receiving end of a very precious baby quilt, a premie quilt, when we had our third child.  She wasn't a premie but she did spend some time in the neonatal unit in Ottawa and every baby that stayed there got one to keep.

My most recent project was for our newest nephew, Harvey.  I bought a Kona pastel jelly roll knowing that I wanted to make something clean and light.  Once he arrived, I took out the pinks, leaving a few yellows and all of the blues and greens.  I have enough left to make a quilt for a baby girl.




I found this jelly roll pattern on Pinterest, sketched it out and quickly got to work.  I kept the strips in their rainbow effect, cut the two large strips out and turned the middle strip upside down.  It turned out better than I had hoped!  I added a flannel backing (which I like to use for baby quilts) and quilted it with simple waves, free-motion.

Unfortunately the next two photos are not as clear as I would like but it's too late to re-do them - the quilt is gone to it's owner!  Oh well... lesson learned to look at the photo before I send the quilt away OR get my eyes checked.


I enjoy free-motion quilting.  I wanted the quilt to have a water/ocean feel to it and didn't want the quilting to be too tight.  It didn't take long to get this quilted.  Sometimes simple is better.


Today I am linking up with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts for her "Finish It Up Friday"!

5 comments:

  1. Sweet, sweet, sweet! I love everything about this quilt. Especially the quilting. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt too! The wave pattern really suits it. And I'm happy to see the 'handmade with love' labels in use. You've been so busy you're going to run out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty quilt. I love the wavy line quilting. How fun to have so many babies to love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your quilt! The color placement is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The baby quilt is gorgeous! Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete