Sunday, 24 May 2015

Quilting a Twin-Sized Quilt

Before I start this blog post, let me explain my life right now.  As the name of my blog suggests, I am a farmhouse quilter.  My family and I live in a beautiful, stone house on our farm.  This farm was settled in the middle 1800s by my husband's family and the "McGregor's" have been here ever since. 

 Today our farm is still in full operation.  We are a large family farm operation, growing and selling fruits and vegetables; our main crops being strawberries, raspberries, sweet corn, green and yellow beans and tomatoes.  The spring is very, very busy for us and I take on the responsibilities of staffing (25 sales staff), marketing and selling our produce at one of the farmers' markets we attend.  That being said, my quilting habit takes a back seat for a few months... we also have three very busy children!

I am working on a special quilting project these days that I need to find time for and this post is about just one of those quilts.




I have had this quilt top finished for a couple of weeks now.  Piecing is very rewarding and my favourite part but the next step (and a very important one if I actually want to finish something big) is more tedious and difficult.

BASTING is frustrating and time-consuming... 
I did some research to find the best way (from other quilters) and set aside some time the other day to just get it done.  
I made a big area available in my living room; got out my exercise weights and put my batting down as flat as I could.  The weights held it in place nicely.


I then proceeded to lay my pieced top as smoothly as I could on top of the batting.  Then placed my weights on top again.


I gently flipped it over and placed the backing on top, very smoothly.  I put the weights back on the corners.  Again, I pulled back each end and spray basted the entire thing, hoping and praying that the quilt top was being completely covered.  I did check to make sure!



It was then ready for the sewing machine!  I started out sewing on my sewing desk but found that the quilt was being pulled down to the floor and driving me crazy!


I decided to move my machine into the kitchen and work on my kitchen table, which really helped keep my quilt up and easy to move around.  This looks like a mess but it was a controlled mess!  



I didn't get it finished by supper time so I had to move it all but pulled it back out after the kids went to bed.  Things went very smoothly until I was not paying attention (chatting with husband) and had to pull out some of the quilting due to overlapping fabric (grrr) but quickly finished it up after that.  

I am very, very pleased with how it turned out.  I used the free-motion feature on my  machine to make just a meandering pattern throughout the quilt.  I did my best to go from the centre outward and was very happy with how my basting turned out so my quilting went very well.  I used a white aurifil thread, which I love the look of that on this quilt.


My plan is to get the binding on this week so I can put this quilt in a local quilt show in early June.


5 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty quilt! I agree, basting is the part I hate most, with piecing a back coming in a close second!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piecing is my favourite part... Thanks for commenting on my quilt!

      Delete
  2. The kitchen table works great! I haven't tried spray basting yet. I heard it can get a little messy. It certainly seems like a time saver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is messy as in it leaves a sticky film on my table, which takes a few washings to come off. I am sure it's all over my livingroom carpet but oh well!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful house! Good luck with berry season :)

    ReplyDelete