Wednesday, 17 June 2015

I Need A Design Wall

I used to only love to make small (ish) projects.  Finishing something in a relatively short amount of time gave me a great sense of accomplishment.  I have made many table runners, table toppers, wall hangings and baby quilts.

My feelings are changing.

I have made just a small number of big projects in the years I have been quilting and they gave me great joy!  Recently I completed a beautiful twin-sized quilt and have started another (24 large blocks to complete) and because I really love the fabric and the pattern, I love the making part to.  Even though it will take me a while to complete and the borders and binding will drive me crazy, I am thoroughly enjoying the process.

My biggest challenge, though, is where do I lay out the blocks before I put them together?  How can I see the big picture?

This is where you, my quilting friends, come in.  I need advice and ideas.

Do you have a design wall?  How big should a design wall be?  What type of material is it made out of?  If you don't have the space for a design wall, what do you use?  I don't have a spare wall in my home to dedicate to laying out my quilt blocks and materials but maybe I need to think "outside the box".

I welcome all of your suggestions and ideas.  Pictures would be great as well... if possible.  Links to blog posts that you found helpful would be wonderful!  Let the conversation begin.


8 comments:

  1. I have a design wall. Love it. I made it out of insulation board covered with flannel. Here's the link to my post about that process. I hope it helps. http://wandadotson.com/2014/03/24/design-wall/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used a flannel back tablecloth from the dollar store. I either tacked it up on the wall or laid it on the floor. The nice thing about it just roll up your layout and when you want to work on it again just unroll it. Your layout is just as you left it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh rolling it up is a great idea. Just leave the blocks inside it. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I have a piece of flannel just tacked to a wall in my little sewing room. Works great and actually I just leave projects up there (with a straight pin to be sure they stay) so I can look that them and try to figure out what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I would love to find a space for one because it's good to walk away and come back to see a project with fresh eyes.

      Delete
  4. Mine is a table cloth up in the hall , the only wall with enough room for it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since a permanent wall space is an issue, what about something like this? Www.vanishingdesignwall.com. You could make your own version, even without the shelf, for a whole lot less money. I have a design wall but was thinking of something like this because sometimes I have more than one project at a time. ;)

    ReplyDelete