Thursday, 18 June 2015

I Need a Design Wall

I used to only love to make small (ish) projects.  Finishing something in a relatively short amount of time gave me a great sense of accomplishment.  I have made many table runners, table toppers, wall hangings and baby quilts.

My feelings are changing.

I have made just a small number of big projects in the years I have been quilting and they gave me great joy!  Recently I completed a beautiful twin-sized quilt and have started another (24 large blocks to complete) and because I really love the fabric and the pattern, I love the making part to.  Even though it will take me a while to complete and the borders and binding will drive me crazy, I am thoroughly enjoying the process.

My biggest challenge, though, is where do I lay out the blocks before I put them together?  How can I see the big picture?

On the floor


This is where you, my quilting friends, come in.  I need advice and ideas.

Do you have a design wall?  How big should a design wall be?  What type of material is it made out of?  If you don't have the space for a design wall, what do you use?  I don't have a spare wall in my home to dedicate to laying out my quilt blocks and materials but maybe I need to think "outside the box".

I welcome all of your suggestions and ideas.  Pictures would be great as well... if possible.  Links to blog posts that you found helpful would be wonderful!  Let the conversation begin.


Sew Fresh Quilts

7 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I quilt in my dining room which has four windows, a standard and a 10' doorway. Plus, wainscot, chair rail, a buffet and a china cabinet! The bright spot is that my son is moving out his furniture next month and I get his bedroom! He's getting married so I can really be excited. A portable design wall was brought to my guild meeting this week. It went together like a tent with shock cords and was flannel. It was okay, not fabulous. BTW, I LOVE Doe and my next major start after I move will be a queen for the Hubs & me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Me to..it's a quilt for a boy's room. I really love it so far.
      My kids won't be leaving for a while...it will be nice for you to have a dedicated room.
      Deb

      Delete
  2. I recommend as big as you can fit in your sewing space. Also, I'd use tongue and groove foam core boards from the hardware store. Use duct tape to cover with cotton batting. Screw into the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I wonder if I could make it and then put it away when it's not in use. Will have to think more about that. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. HI: My wall is nothing fancy but it works. I had a large piece of cardboard from some sort of delivery. It is 3 feet x 4 feet because that is all I had room for. Using duct tape, I covered it with a piece of heavy white flannel (because I had it already) and nailed it to the wall with tiny brads. Works well but it isn't huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! And it can be put away easily. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I use a large piece of felt and put it up on my wall using command hooks. Here's my original tutorial, I've since doubled the size to fit an entire wall. http://reddeliciouslife.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-10-diy-design-wall.html

    Visiting from the new blogger's hop - I was a participant last year.

    ReplyDelete