Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Another Project from The School of Sewing


Sometimes I just want to shift gears when sewing and do something relatively quick.  I love a "finish".  I bought this fabric at Joann's in Florida last winter because it caught my eye.  I wandered around the store with the bolt for a long time with no purpose.  I guess most quilters have this problem - something catches your eye that you love and you just want to buy it.  It sat in my fabric stash until this passed week when alas it had a purpose.  


I own Shea Henderson's book The School of Sewing.  My collection of sewing books is drastically increasing but this one continues to be a favourite because it feeds my desire to learn to make things other than quilts and it speaks to me as a sewing newbie (not a quilter).  I flipped to this project in her book, read through her instructions and actually used the cutting measurements only.  Her pictures inspired me to make the project simple.  Sometimes you just want the fabric to stand out.  It also gave me another opportunity to work on my quilting technique.


This shows the back of the place mat but also the quilting stands out.
Now back to the big project at hand... pictures soon!

It's been a while but today I am linking up with  Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts.  Glad to be back!

7 comments:

  1. What a fun and quick project. I'm with you - I want and need some quick sewing sometime. I'm going to go look for her book. These turned out so cute and I love the way you quilted them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her book is beautiful...lots of great projects and photos but it is also a bit of a story.

      Delete
  2. I'm not surprised the fabric caught your eye, it's so sweet! The placemats are a great idea - wouldn't they look lovely on an outside summer table?! Great quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These runners are so cute. What a great project to supply you with a little sewing fun! The quilting looks fabulous and so does the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing makes me smile like sitting down to eat a wonderful meal (or a quick one I'll be honest) on a placemat I've made. Yours are so bright and cheery I know you'll feel that bubble of happiness, accomplishment, and satisfaction each time you use them! Cool fabric indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why you couldn't put that fabric down. It's super cute!

    ReplyDelete