Thursday, 15 October 2015

My "Make It Take It" Bag

I am sewing as much as I possibly can these days... kids are in school, my farm job is pretty much done for the year (until next spring) and Monday to Friday, 8:30-4pm, is my own time.  I do have "jobs" to do though other than sew like laundry (yuck), cleaning (boo), appointments and the list can go on and on (never a dull moment when you live on a farm).

I am "sew" happy this time of year...

I have an ongoing large quilting project but I squeeze in other projects in between (I shouldn't be doing that but I just can't help myself).

Last Friday afternoon I gave myself a treat and signed up for a sewing class at Mad About Patchwork, (just outside of Ottawa, Ontario) my new favourite fabric shop.  The shop is so pretty: pretty fabric, pretty projects, pretty all over the place.

The project for the afternoon was a bag, seen on the cover of this beautiful book by Krista Hennebury, Poppyprint.  This wasn't the first time I have come across her book - she has a beautiful blog that I follow which has highlighted her book a few times.  The projects in her book are collection of patterns focused on being retreat-friendly ie. something beautiful that can be made in a relatively short period of time.


Now I have her book to add to my growing collection of eye-candy sewing/quilting books.  I can just sit and read them over and over again.  


Back to my project.  
The class for the afternoon was small - just two students but this was the first time my teacher had taught a class so it was good for her to have a small number and it's always good for students to have their teacher's full attention.  It was nice to be able to chat while sewing; the project wasn't overly difficult but I love a reason to socialize with other quilters and just being in that beautiful environment, instead of being surrounded by all the jobs I have at home.  It was a great afternoon.


My fabric choices:  I came with the fabric filled with colourful flags (bought at Joanne's Fabric Store in Florida) and matched it with some fabrics from the shop.



Thoughts on this project:

1.  I love taking classes.  I find that I am increasingly confident when sewing - I surprise myself with what I actually know.
2.  As a result I may not need to take any classes but I LOVE TAKING CLASSES mostly because I can be with others that sew.  I like to talk "shop".
3.  I always learn something new - nothing wrong with that!
4.  This shop has a nice vibe for creating something beautiful.
5.  I honestly didn't read the instructions in the book.  My teacher guided us along.  Despite that, I will make at least one more of these bags and a few of the other projects on my own.
6.  I was there for over 3 hours BUT I know this bag could be made in much less time.
7  I can't wait to go back and take another class from Katy or anyone else at Mad About Patchwork.






20 comments:

  1. I love taking classes as well. You always learn something new, and it seems to rejuvenate me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag turned out lovely, Deb. It looks like a fun design and the bag looks like it will hold alot. It could be great to make as gifts. I have not had a chance to take too many sewing or quilting classes. I did take a class with my Mom on how to draft our own clothes patterns to fit 'perfectly" with a special set of sloper rulers, which we both bought. I never used mine. lol Mom took lots of machine embroidery classes. Her sewing machine shop always catered nice little lunches for them. Thanks for sharing and linking up with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love linking up - hope to do more of them!
      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I love taking classes too ... its great to sit and sew with like minded people and see what fabric combos they come up with. Lovely bag! I've had my eye on this book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book just makes me want to go to another retreat...have you been to any?

      Delete
  4. Your bag looks so good on you. I enjoy taking classes too for the same reason - just to get to talk shop with others who love sewing/quilting as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks...I look very excited!! So funny!

      Delete
  5. Your bag looks great! Classes are wonderful aren't they. Sometimes I pick up quilting tips that are unrelated to the class but essential non the less. I have that book also and I'm wanting to make the bag but I'm not sure when I can squeeze it in. Have a wonderful time now that there is more sewing time for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is always the issue. I wish I had all the time in the world to just "make" but no...

      Delete
  6. You were a great student for a first time teacher :) I am excited to see you again sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and I WILL see you again. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. I love taking classes, but I am a horrid student! Really, I am a high school English teacher and I've taught some quilting classes, but I would not want ME in my class. lol

    Your bag looks great. I love your fabric choices. I'm thinking it would make a great project for a retreat. It feels so good to leave with a finished project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Any project I haven't finished at a class rarely gets finished at home.

      Delete
  8. Hello, love how your bag turned out. Should you wish to make another one, check the corrections pages for the book, just in case.
    Blog post with link to pdf here:
    http://poppyprintcreates.blogspot.fr/2015/02/oopsydaisy-make-it-take-it-corrections.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I just wing things a bit to... so I didn't even notice any errors.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like fun and I love the bag! It must be nice to have that time blocked off then come away with a finished project! One day I'll have time to take a class ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha - DO NOT WISH AWAY TIME because that sweet Helen will be in school and grown up before you know it! sniff sniff
      By the way, I think I was more productive when the kids were at home with me. Not sure why.

      Delete
  10. Catching up on blog reading... I haven't read much over the last couple of weeks with mom being sick.

    I love taking classes too. i haven't taken one for over a year tho. I need to find one and sign up! It I such a social thing, to be able to sew with others. I love it. So glad you had such a great time and I love the bag. I want to look up that book and the author's blog (as though I don't follo enough blogs already!$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Bernie... I follow way too many blogs and think I will remember what I read or a project I saw and want to make and it gets lost in my mind. I am thankful for pinterest where I can save them all... if I get around to it!

      Deb

      Delete