Monday, 11 April 2016

A Country Music Night To Remember

I became a country music fan a long time ago. 
It wasn't because my parents were big country fans (although back in the 1980s there was a lot less choice in music and I think many people were fans of all genres back then) but they were big music fans.  We listened to music loudly and danced all over the house.  This is a very happy memory of mine.  My dad loved good music and good sound systems so when he played music, it was heard and we all joined in the fun of listening.
I actually became a country music fan while sitting on a big yellow bus, with my friend, listening with her walkman and sharing the earphones.  I remember she introduced me to Garth Brooks.  After that, I was hooked on to country music.
I took that new love and, as most teenagers do, I became immersed in my new love.  As time went on, Garth Brook's music was one of my favourites; I had most of his albums but I also fell for Tim McGraw and loved LeeAnn Womack, Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Reba (of course), Brooks and Dunn and my absolute favourite... Trisha Yearwood.

I sang with Trisha all the time, knew all the words to all of her songs and what I really loved was she didn't act or look like she was perfect.  Her songs were filled with meaning and a voice that was awesome.  She carried herself well and was a real person... failed first marriage and struggles with her weight (although I thought she always looked amazing) and carried on with her music. 

I have been fortunate to have been able to attend quite a few concerts.  I have been to some really good ones: Reba was memorable, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift were truly entertaining, Eric Church and Jason Aldean are amazing but my most recent concert was seeing Garth Brooks and his wife, Trisha Yearwood.  What a show!




We were lucky enough to be invited by friends to join them in the suite they reserved; it was fairly high up but the seats were awesome and honestly I barely socialized with anyone other than my husband because I was really into it!  I danced and sang through the whole entire concert and did not want it to end when it did.  Garth was everything I wanted him to be; he is an amazing performer.  There was nothing flashy, no dancers all over the stage and limited bright lights. Garth and his band just sang and played an amazing show.  His wife, Trisha, came out singing a duet and then he took a much-needed break while she sang a few of her wonderful songs.  My night was complete when she sang "She's in Love With the Boy" which was one of my favourite songs as a teenager.  I probably played it over and over and over... I took a short video of that song to show my sister but had to stop because I just needed to watch her on stage not take time recording.  Garth came back on and continued to play more of "the old stuff" as he put it and we sang and danced some more.

This concert will go down as one of the best. 


3 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing, glad you got to go :) A friend was selling tickets and it was very tempting LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to see Garth & Trisha in Detroit last year at the beginning of their World tour. I could not see the stage because the people in front of me stood up for the whole show, but just being a part of that experience was worth it. (that was my 3rd Garth Brooks concert). Thank you for sharing your experience, it brought all those concert memories back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that would have been such a good evening!!

    ReplyDelete