This winter I was approached by a friend of an acquaintance to see if I would be interested in making a quilt out of her wedding dress. Ack! I was intrigued... I did some research, we met a few times, I asked fellow sewing friends for advice and ideas... I played with the fabric of her dress and we came up with an agreement as to what she wanted made and what I could handle. I was excited!
I regret not taking a photo of the actual wedding dress... next time! I also regret not taking enough PHOTOS!
So the following pictures show some of the process from cutting the dress up (this was definitely the most stressful part) to sewing the squares together to the finished project.
There are two contrasting fabrics: the dress (lace overlay) and the train (taffeta-type fabric). The lace overlay was difficult to cut and piece but I went slowly and it came together surprisingly well. I changed my needle a few times but my pfaff co-operated nicely. I stitched-in-the-ditch to quilt it together because I didn't want to take away from the dress; I felt the least amount of quilting would keep it clean looking and showcase the lace overlay. Speaking of clean... white/cream fabric is challenging to keep clean especially in a farm house filled with flies daily. Ugh.
It was a simple quilt design made into a 4foot square throw or wall-hanging. The cream coloured fabric contrast is difficult to see... but it's a subtle quilt that is stunning up close. I love it. My client loves it to which made me very, very happy. Cutting into a wedding dress is not for the faint of heart but with lots of measuring, planning and measuring again, it came together.
I am super proud of this finish... linking up with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts this week.